Map Writer provides an in-game mini-map mode, which when toggled on, is a full-screen GUI. Essentially, it is a bigger and interactive version of the circular minimap in the top right corner.
- In game mini-map for multiplayer and singleplayer.
- Client side (server does not need to have the mod installed).
- The areas you explore are saved and can be viewed by scrolling or zooming the map, even when you are in a completely different part of the world.
- Full screen map GUI. Set waypoints by right clicking, pan map by click dragging, zoom with the mouse wheel.
- New in 2.0.3: Rotating circular mini map mode. Can be enabled in the options GUI.
- New in 2.0.4: Map resolution can be changed while the game is running through the options GUI.
- Colours for blocks automatically generated from the block's texture.
- Support for custom texture packs.
- Support for blocks added by mods.
- Biomes now coloured appropriately.
- Entire map can be written to a PNG image.
- Explored chunks are also saved in Anvil format from multiplayer servers, so you can view the world using tools such as Eihort.
- When in the Nether the mini map shows your effective location in the Overworld. This makes placing portals easier.
- Short range underground mode shows air, water and lava around the player.
- All block colours configurable, including extended block ID's.
It functions like the maps in many RPGs, showing both your immediate surroundings and everywhere that you've been before.
After exploration, use 'p' when the map is toggled on to create a PNG screenshot of everywhere you have explored.
General Key Bindings
- 'n' toggles mini-map between normal, large, and hidden.
- 'm' opens/closes the interactive map GUI.
- ',' toggles which marker group is shown.
- '.' teleports to nearest visible marker in the direction you are facing.
- 'page up' zooms out.
- 'page down' zooms in.
Map GUI Key Bindings
- 'M' opens/closes the interactive map GUI.
- 'Spacebar' cycles through marker groups.
- 'Delete' deletes the selected marker.
- 'Home' centers map on the player.
- 'End' centers the map on the selected marker.
- 'N' selects next marker in current group.
- 'C' changes colour of the selected marker.
- 'P' writes curently displayed area of map to PNG.
- 'T' teleport to selected marker or to cursor position.
- 'L' toggles map scaling filter between linear (blurred) and nearest (sharp).
- '1' toggles display of coordinates in game.
- '2' toggles rotating circular mini map mode.
- 'R' regenerates the currently displayed area of the map. Use after changing texture packs.
- 'Page up' zooms out.
- 'Page down' zooms in.
- Left click dragging the map pans the view.
- Mouse wheel zooms the map view.
- Right clicking the map sets a new marker.
- Left clicking a marker selects it.
- Left click dragging a selected marker moves it.
- Mouse wheel on the selected marker cycles the marker colour.
- Arrow keys pan the map.
Key bindings can be altered similarly to the normal Minecraft controls.